Saturday 14 April 2012

Why I hate tourists. And how, ironically, I am one.

Its the age old dilemma- ask anyone who has been to Venice, for example. They will tell you that it was great, but there were so many damn tourists and it was so crowded that the trip was ruined. But then, if you think about it, the person who has just said this was a tourist, adding to the mass of people wandering around sight-seeing and buying tacky plastic gondola ornaments that lets be honest, would look far better in the bin than on the mantlepiece.
And so the dilemma begins.
If you have read my previous blog entry, you will know that I recently went to Thorpe Park, and was really hyped up about riding The Swarm, their new rollercoaster.


See? How epic does that look? It takes you up, flips you upside down and then drops you for what looks like a very long time.
So being as excited as I was, I got up really early, and managed to be there by half past 9 (it opened at 9 am). So as soon as I got there, I checked the waiting time board thinking it would probably say 30 minutes-ish. You wanna know what it said??
99+ minutes
...
So over an hour and a half waiting time when the park had only been open for half an hour? Whoa.
And try to buy a fastpass to spend an extortionate amount of money to save time? The queue for the fastpass booth was an hour long... thats not exactly 'fast'.
Seriously, almost everything had a waiting time of over an hour, so what did we go on I hear you ask?


The flying fish!! Ahhh, who doesnt love the flying fish.... when they're four years old. And ironically, the flying fish is right next to the Swarm, adding a hint of irony I believe.

And so you see, I hate tourists.... they come along and buy loads of crap they dont need or actually want, stubbornly stand in queues for hours and just get in the way of EVERTHING.
Yet, I am a tourist too- we all are. Does this mean I hate myself?!

No comments:

Post a Comment