Tuesday 27 March 2012

Some of my artwork

So I'm planning on making an official website soon, just to get a load of art stuff on the internet. But until i manage to do that (its going to take blood, sweat and tears being the technophobe i am) here's a few pieces from my portfolio and current representations of women fine art project

enjoy :)



From my AS exam project for textiles, where I explored the theme of war- it's layered consequences and our rememberance of the events. I also looked into my ancestors who died in the war, their images are included in this piece.


Life drawings- Barry and John :) I really like my chalk and charcoal study of Barry, I think I really captured his likeness and his romanesque nose which was SO difficult to draw!  The second photo is a mini canvas, which i did in about 5 minutes. Both of these are currently in my portfolio.

Using Sarah Beetson's illustrative style and combining it with my own style of blending watercolours to make a face more three dimensional. The theme for this piece was the sexualisation with women, but through a mocking, satirical filter (hence the colourful bubbles and comical style).





These are my responses to the work of Cecily Brown, using my fingers to apply the acrylic, creating raw, energetic marks. The first photo is of a piece which I then image transferred onto fabric, and stitched over (the second photo), leaving the threads hanging loose, Ghada Amer style. I feel the hanging threads are also reminiscient of Gunver Nervold Antonsen's embroidery pieces. I then stitched around each section of colour with that colour, creating a colourful mess of tangles and paint.




My favourite sketchbook page of this current project, although it is temporarily devoid of annotation. Using Allison Torneros' style of trapping areas of tone, I was able to create quirky pieces that remind me of painting by numbers paintings.

The first photograph is a symmetrical arrangements of my photoshop line drawings, inspired by Amer's compositions and Beetson's linear style. The second photo is of a free-machine embroidery of these photoshop drawings, combining three different representations of women into one piece.

This was the first monoprint I have ever made, and I was shocked by how neat && clean it came out! This piece (yes, it is of me) uses the theme of wealth and women, and the idea that wealth is typically bestowed on women by men (inheritance, gifts of jewellery etc.). Today I began to embroider layered images onto a household apron and I embroidered this image- all the individual beads took ages! However, it looks fantastic so I am happy :)

So thats a sneak peat at some of my artwork... stay tuned for more posts like this in future, or maybe even my own website! :O

Sammie
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You shouldn't have been nervous uploading these! I love your style! My favourites are the 10th and 11th ones done with a lot of line work! They are lovely and fluid. You've achieved a really natural + spontaneous look without being too messy. I would love to be more natural with my work - always get too controlled! Keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you :)
      i take textiles as well as art, so the textiles techniques (embroidery, batik etc) almost force you to concentrate more heavily on line.
      You keep your work up too hun! I shall be watching ^.^

      ....
      just realised that last sentence sounded uuber creepy, and i can't think of a better way to rephrase it. Oh well :L

      Delete