Friday 14 September 2012

The Lightbox Gallery exhibition photos

So this exhibition was back in June/July time, but in my everlasting quest to get my name 'out there' as an artist (i am one, i promise!) here are some photos from the private viewing of one of the pieces I had up in the gallery.

Dressed to kill for opening night :)

I created a triptych based on the theme of perceptions of women. On each canvas I wanted to portray a different view of women. On the first canvas I explored how women can be seen as passive sexual objects, on the second as obedient household slaves, and the third as victims- of domestic abuse, and a yearn for power and wealth in a typically male-dominated world. The tangled, chaotic composition is my way of expressing this issue- which I believe to be complex and confusing.



 As for media, I used household emulsion and watercolours to paint onto the canvases, and used fineliner and free-machine embroidery to sew into the canvases and outline the figures and areas of tone. The vertical lines are made by drips of paint and loose threads that I left to tangle and hang freely from the canvas, uncut.

Canvas 1



Canvas 2

Canvas 3




I'll be moving into my student house in Bournemouth next week, so I'll keep my blog updated with my packing (oh god- what the hell do I take clothes-wise?!), moving in and the begininng of uni! So excited for it all, and freshers starts on the 24th... watch this space ;)

1 comment:

  1. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.
    Cocktail Party Dresses

    ReplyDelete